Chief: Fire at modular home in Mapleville likely caused by heater used to thaw pipes

0
1091

BURRILLVILLE – A single-story modular home in the Maplehill Mobile Home Park was destroyed in a fire on Saturday, Jan. 20.

There were no injuries reported in the blaze and the occupants – a female resident and her cat – evacuated safely.

According to East Burrillville Fire Chief Joseph Bertholic, multiple parties called in the fire at 11 Maplewood Drive around 1 p.m. Saturday afternoon. Firefighters were on the scene of the blaze until around 5 p.m.

“It was a substantial fire, but we actually held it to just the Burrillville companies, and had mutual aid for station coverage,” Bertholic said. “The three Burrillville departments handled it very well.”

Bertholic said that the cause of the fire was likely some type of heater being used to thaw frozen water pipes on the structure. The house, he noted, was a complete loss.

“Unfortunately, when it’s a mobile home like that, it usually is,” Bertholic said. “When it gets a significant fire in it, it’s difficult to save anything.”

Bertholic noted that the Red Cross offered the victim assistance, but she said she would stay with family and friends.

The chief noted that anyone who experiences frozen pipes on their homes should always hire a professional to address the problem.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Oh hi there 👋
It’s nice to meet you.

Sign up to receive awesome content in your inbox, every week.

We don’t spam!

Leave a Reply