BURRILLVILLE – An electrical fire Sunday afternoon caused extensive damage to a two-family home in Pascoag, and now, friends of the victims have started a fundraiser to help with basic needs.
The blaze at 170 Laurel Ridge Ave. was reported just after 3 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 10, and responding Pascoag firefighters were assisted with mutual aid from roughly a dozen surrounding departments. Initial reports stated that the two-alarm fire set off ammunition in the home, later determined to be paint cans.
The two-story house is owned by Evan and Nadine Nielson according to town property records, and was built in 1870. Firefighters navigated through the family’s extensive annual Halloween display to fight the blaze, which caused heavy damage to the second floor. One of the couple’s sons, a senior at Burrillville High School, had to escape from the structure and was able to get out safely, along with two cats.
Now, friends have started a fundraiser to help the family with needs such as food, clothing and housing.
“Unfortunately, the home will need to be rebuilt and could take up to a year,” noted Jennifer Phillips, who started a GoFundMe page on behalf of the family. “Though they had insurance there are immediate needs like clothing, housing and necessities that they need assistance with while they are sorting this all out.”
Evan, the page notes, is an Air Force veteran who has served for more than 25 years and Nadine is a CNA. Donations can be made here.