BURRILLVILLE – A fire in the vacant side of a duplex property currently under renovation caused damages in Harrisville Monday morning.
Harrisville Fire Chief Michael Gingell said the blaze, which started in the basement of the building at 222 Harrisville Main St., was reported by contractors working at the property around 9 a.m. on Monday, May 22.
“There was renovation work going on at the time of the fire,” Gingell said.
All Burrillville fire companies helped fight the blaze, which was knocked out in just under two hours and contained to the basement and first floor of the 2.5 story building. Traffic was detoured with the road closed from East Ave to Steere Farm Road.
Gingell said the fire caused an estimated $5,000 in damages to the building, but did not affect the second side of the duplex. No people or animals were injured or displaced.
The state fire marshal reportedly handled the investigation.