BURRILLVILLE – Firefighters in Burrillville extinguished a fire caused by a malfunctioning motorcycle at a two-story barn on Church Street on Monday, Nov. 15.
According to a release from the Pascoag Fire District, Burrillville Fire Dispatch began receiving multiple calls reporting a blaze at a structure in the area of 73 Church St. around 4 p.m. Monday.
All Burrillville fire companies were dispatched, with Pascoag Engine 42 arriving first on the scene.
“Its crew achieved a quick knockdown of the fire in a two-story barn turned garage,” noted a release.
Pascoag crews with both Engine 42 and 41 were assisted by Wallum Lake, Harrisville, and Oakland-Mapleville fire departments, as well as Burrillville Police.
The Rhode Island State Fire Marshal also responded, primarily due to the minor injuries received by the homeowner. Overhaul and investigation were completed, and all companies cleared the scene by just before 6:30 p.m.
A malfunctioning motorcycle in the garage was found to be the cause of the fire.
According to town property records, the home at 73-75 Church St. is owned by Robin McDonald (trustee.) But while McDonald’s properties at 73-75 and 77-75 Church share a right-of-way/driveway with the barn, she does not own the structure itself.
“The duty crew and volunteers of PFD thank our sisters and brothers from our neighboring departments and from BPD for their assistance,” the released noted. “We truly appreciate knowing that we are all there for each other.”
Editor’s note: The above article originally stated that McDonald owned the garage. We apologize for the error.